Tips for Controlling Mold Growth During the Spring
Spring is in full swing in the Kansas City area (though with the temps we’ve been feeling, you’d never know that) and we know many of you out there are throwing open the windows, turning on the music and bunkering down for weekends of spring cleaning. Around this time, a lot of people ask us if we have any indoor air quality tips they can use—specifically, questions related to mold and mildew prevention.
Moisture Control = Mold Control
Mold needs two things to grow: moisture and oxygen (heat helps too). As a result, mold can grow anywhere moisture accumulates—wood, carpeting, insulation, etc. If mold growth goes on undiscovered or unaddressed, it can lead to costly damage and can affect your home’s indoor air quality as well.
There are a number of things you can do to prevent mold growth in your home:
- Keep your roof gutters clean and well maintained at all times.
- Identify and fix plumbing leaks and other problems as soon as you notice them.
- If you can see condensation or moisture collecting on the inside of your windows, walls or pipes, try the surface and try to find the source of the moisture.
- When water spills or leaks inside, clean it up right away. It usually takes about 24 – 48 hours for mold spores to take hold, so if you dry up the spill you should be fine.
- If you see mold on any hard surfaces, scrub it off with detergent and water and dry the area completely.
- Have an HVAC contractor come out and make sure your AC drip pans and drain lines are clean and unobstructed.
- Keep indoor humidity levels low. A properly working central air conditioner should take care of this, but occasionally you may need to add a dehumidifier.
You can find a lot more information about preventing mold growth on the EPA’s website. And if you’re looking for an HVAC company to inspect your air conditioner and help you mind more ways to control mold in your Kansas City home, call Top Notch Heating, Cooling & Plumbing today!
Tell Us How We Can Help Schedule Service Today!
Check Out Our Special
Offers & Coupons
Manufacturers We Carry