What if one appliance could make your room more comfortable, lower your heating and cooling bill, produce useful lighting, and add a splash of decorating style all at once? Would you be interested? Many people would be surprised to learn that the appliance is an affordable, time-tested ceiling fan.
Invented in the late 1880s, the use of ceiling fans steadily increased in U.S. households throughout the first half of the 20th century as they became more affordable to own. With the introduction of air conditioning in the 1950s, ceiling fans lost popularity, but made a major comeback in the early 1970s during the energy crisis. Since then, ceiling fans have literally become a constant “fixture” in most homes.
Looking to install a ceiling fan in your home? Call Top Notch or contact us online today.
Benefits of Ceiling Fans
Ceiling fans offer a host of benefits to homeowners. These include:
- Reduced energy costs: Ceiling fans don’t actually reduce the temperature of a room. However, the air they circulate can make a room feel three to four degrees cooler. By setting the thermostat a little higher to take advantage of the fan’s air circulation, you can save up 30 to 40 percent on your utility bill. Ceiling fans with the Energy Star label can help you save even more.
- Added decorating style: With so many different kinds of ceiling fans on the market, it’s easy to find the perfect one to complement any decorating style. Ceiling fans for kids’ rooms are available in all kinds of themes from ladybugs, flowers, globes, sports, and more. A unique ceiling fan is not only functional, it can also serve as the focal point of a room. Some fans even offer interchangeable blades so that you can change the style of the fan without having to replace the motor.
- Layered lighting: Most ceiling fans come with an added lighting fixture that you can use to add a beautiful, layered texture of light to your room.
- Versatile placement: Ceiling fans aren’t just for the living room. Install them in bedrooms, kitchens, porches, or any room you want constant air circulation.
- Year-round use: You might think ceiling fans are just for summer use. Not true. Ceiling fans have a switch on the base that allows the blades to reverse to help disperse warm air downward during the winter.
Things to Consider Before Installing a Ceiling Fan
The Department of Energy advises homeowners to use the following guidelines before installing a ceiling fan:
- Ensure the room you want to install a fan in has at least an eight-foot ceiling.
- Ceiling fan blades should be at least eight inches below the ceiling and at least 18 inches away from walls.
- Choose a 36-inch to 44-inch diameter fan to cool a 225 square foot room such aa a bedroom or office.
- Use a 52-inch or larger diameter fan to cool larger spaces like kitchens and living areas.
- Choose a ceiling fan with the Energy Star symbol to save the most on your utility bills.
Choose Top Notch to Install Ceiling Fans in Your Kansas City Home
If you’d like to install ceiling fans in your Kansas City area home, don’t bother with DIY. Leave the installation to the pros. At Top Notch Heating, Cooling & Plumbing, our licensed technicians will expertly install ceiling fans quickly and efficiently. Our experts can help you choose the right size ceiling fans for your rooms and make sure the job is done to your complete satisfaction.
Contact Top Notch for expert ceiling fan installation in the Kansas City area today.