10 Foolproof Ways to Save Money on Energy in 2017
Other than your mortgage and rent, your gas and electric bills from your HVAC unit are likely to be one of the largest expenses in a Lenexa homeowner’s monthly budget. That means finding ways to save on your heating and cooling can put a lot of extra money in your pocket. Keep reading for 10 foolproof methods for saving money on your HVAC costs!
Save Money in 2017 With These Simple HVAC Hacks
- Use cold water to wash your clothes. If you’re still using warm water to do your laundry, switching to cold water can provide significant savings. Not only will you save money by reducing the amount of gas or electrictricity your water heater uses, you’ll also make your clothes last longer and prevent shrinkage.
- Use a programmable thermostat. Adjusting your manual thermostat enough to perform in an optimal manner would drive anyone crazy. Thankfully, for a modest investment, you can install a programmable unit that will pay for itself in a short amount of time. Your home will stay comfortable throughout the year, and you’ll save quite a bit of money.
- Use your window treatments. Your blinds, shades, and drapes aren’t just for decoration. By blocking sunlight on hot days and letting sunlight in on cold ones, you can reduce the load put on your heating and cooling system. Setting your window treatments to the right level before you leave every morning can save you a lot throughout the year.
- Buy products with the ENERGY STAR label. Energy Star is a program set up by the Environmental Protection Agency to help consumers find energy efficient products quickly and easily. You won’t find a more foolproof way of buying a new appliance or device than looking for this particular label.
- Clean or change your air filters regularly. Debris in your HVAC system can prevent the flow of air through vents, furnaces, air conditioners, and other components. This congested air flow can make your heating and cooling inefficient, so clean out your filters often to keep things running optimally.
- Get rid of air leaks. The transfer of heat between your interior and exterior can force your heating and cooling system to work overtime during summer and winter, meaning higher than necessary energy bills. Use caulk and additional insulation to prevent further heat transfer.
- Reduce the water heater temperature. Most homes have their water heater set too high, wasting energy on heat that will never be used. By lowering your heater’s temperature to about 120 degrees, you can reduce mineral buildup in the tank, prevent pipe corrosion, avoid scalding, and save up to 22% on energy bills related to your heater.
- Make sure your ducts are sealed. Both your heating and cooling system rely on air transport through an extensive network of ducts, and these ducts can lose a lot of energy through leaks. Professional duct sealers can stop these leaks and perform other heating maintenance in Lenexa.
- Get regular HVAC maintenance in Lenexa from a professional. Like any piece of mechanical equipment, your heating system requires regular maintenance in order to perform at its highest level. By scheduling regular heating maintenance in Lenexa, you’ll ensure your system runs reliably and efficiently throughout the year.
- Maintain your air conditioning system by performing a yearly checklist. Once a year, you should clean the evaporator and condenser coils, check the refrigerant level, and adjust the blower components in your air conditioner to make sure everything is working properly. Hiring an HVAC professional to perform these checks will ensure that your air conditioner is ready to face the summer heat.
Want to Save More? Upgrade Your HVAC System
If your home seems like a money pit, your HVAC system may be out of date or on it’s last legs. Contact us about replacing your current system and see the savings pile up.
Tell Us How We Can Help Schedule Service Today!
Check Out Our Special
Offers & Coupons
Manufacturers We Carry