Fall is in the air in Kansas City. With the kids back to school and weekends geared toward watching football instead of relaxing by the pool, it’s time to take advantage of these last warm days to get your home in tip-top shape for the coming winter. The following checklist outlines steps you can take on your own in addition to calling in the pros to ensure your home is comfortable and safe all winter long.
Maintain Your Home’s Exterior & Irrigation System
Along with raking leaves and cleaning gutters, you should perform several outdoor tasks early in the fall to avoid costly plumbing problems when temperatures dip below freezing. Water expands when it freezes, leading to broken pipes, faucets, and hoses if left untended. Perform the following tasks early to ensure your outdoor plumbing survives winter without a hitch:
- Disconnect water hoses from outdoor faucets.
- Drain water hoses and securely store them inside a garage or shed.
- If possible, turn off the water supply to outdoor faucets.
- Turn off the water supply to your irrigation system.
- Drain the underground pipes in your irrigation system or used compressed air to blow any remaining water through the pipes.
- Drain detachable sprinkler heads and replace them.
- Disable any automatic controllers.
Other important outdoor tasks include making sure walkways and railings are in good shape to help you navigate icy conditions, cutting away dead vegetation from trees and shrubs to promote healthy growth in the spring, and applying caulk to leaky windows.
Get Your Heating System Ready for Winter
Do you flip the furnace switch to the “on” position on the first frosty night of the year and hope for the best? Don’t chance it. When you schedule a maintenance checkup for your heating system in the early fall with the professionals from Top Notch Heating, Cooling & Plumbing, you’ll have peace of mind knowing your furnace will be in tip-top condition to keep you and your family warm when the temperatures plummet.
A furnace tune-up from the trained technicians at Top Notch includes:
- Complete System Analysis – Our techs will check all of the components of your heating system including the thermostat and electrical connections to ensure it’s working properly. We’ll repair and replace worn or broken components as needed.
- Condensate Line Inspection – A clogged condensate line can lead to high humidity levels, lower efficiency of your heating system, and equipment failure. We’ll make sure the line is free of damaging buildup so that your furnace will perform at peak efficiency.
- Cleaning – We’ll thoroughly clean the dust, dirt, and other grimy buildup that can damage your unit, cause poor air quality, and lower energy efficiency. We’ll clean or replace air filters for the furnace and whole home humidifiers.
Call Top Notch to Help You Tackle Your Fall Maintenance Checklist
Fall is a beautiful time of year in Kansas City. Get outdoors to enjoy it and call the professionals of Top Notch to help you get your home ready for winter. Our expert team will answer any questions you have about your specific needs and can perform maintenance on all types of heating systems including fireplaces, conduct home energy audits, and service whole-home humidifiers, generators, carbon monoxide detectors, electrical issues, and so much more.
Ready to tackle your fall maintenance checklist? Contact Top Notch for an appointment today.