It’s the first month of a new year, and many people have made personal resolutions to get healthier, spend more time with family, or have more fun. But have you thought about having a New Year’s resolution for your home? How about vowing to maintain it better this year?
We’ve put together a handy checklist of important tasks to perform throughout the year to keep your home’s HVAC, plumbing, and electrical systems in tip-top shape. Different areas of your home require different levels of attention, so we’ve broken our list down into monthly, quarterly, and bi-annual tasks as well as tasks specific to the spring and fall seasons.
Need more help? Contact Top Notch Heating, Cooling & Plumbing today for advice and service!
Monthly Home Maintenance
- Clean and/or replace furnace, air conditioner, and heat pump filters.
- Clean faucets and showerheads to remove buildup.
- Check shower and sink drains for signs of slowness or clogging, and unclog if necessary.
Quarterly Home Maintenance
- Run water and flush toilets in spaces you don’t often use to prevent buildup.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replace batteries if necessary.
- Check your water softener and add salt if necessary.
- Check for leaky faucets and water pressure issues. Call a plumbing expert if needed.
Bi-Annual Home Maintenance
- Deep clean every room in the house. Don’t forget to clean:
- Kitchen and bathroom cabinets.
- Tub, shower, and sink drains—baking soda and vinegar do the trick.
- Kitchen appliances.
- Blinds and curtains.
- Check thermostat settings at the beginning of the heating and cooling seasons.
- Inspect roof for signs of damage and call a professional if you need repairs.
- Check windows and doors for any cracks or drafts and re-seal as needed.
- Vacuum refrigerator coils to help your refrigerator run more efficiently.
Spring Maintenance Checklist
- Check exterior drainage and clean gutters/downspouts if necessary.
- Inspect your home’s exterior for chipped paint, cracks in foundation, or holes in brick/siding and fix as needed.
- Have your air conditioning unit inspected by a professional HVAC technician in Lenexa to ensure it’s running at peak efficiency.
- Remove (if possible), clean, and store storm windows.
- Repair or replace window and door screens.
- Check trees around your home to make sure they don’t interfere with electrical lines.
- Fertilize your lawn and have your lawn mower serviced (if needed).
- Wash all windows, inside and out.
Fall Maintenance Checklist
- If you have a fireplace, have the chimney professionally cleaned.
- Remove window air conditioning units or put covers on them.
- Take down screens and replace with storm windows.
- Have your heat pump or furnace serviced by a professional ahead of the heating season.
- Drain your hot water heater and remove sediment from the tank.
- Turn off and flush outdoor water faucets and sprinkler systems.
- Test your sump pump by pouring a bucket of water into the basement. If it doesn’t activate, contact Top Notch for professional sump pump service.
- Close or install storm windows.
Professional Home Maintenance with Top Notch
Not sure how to tell if your HVAC system is running as well as it should? Interested in having a professional tune-up? Top Notch Heating, Cooling & Plumbing offers VIP Maintenance Agreements to keep your heater or air conditioner in great condition. Our team of experts will check on your system periodically throughout the year and perform any repairs or adjustments needed to make sure your system is running smoothly. Call us at (913) 535-8002 for more information!